Hong Kong is center of academic excellence and research in Asia second to Singapore, it has earned global ranking of being the 12th best city for international students by QS. Being the financial and business hub of Asia and having proximity to China, Hong Kong offers broad career opportunities to international students post graduation. The visa policies are flexible and accommodating in Hong Kong for fresh graduates from universities of Hong Kong and for graduates from other countries. The east meets west urbanized culture of Hong Kong, bustling metropolis, historical roots, fast paced lifestyle and developed economy ensure an adventurous and productive study abroad experience. In spite of worldwide acclamation and prestigious reputation of higher education institutions of Hong Kong the tuition fee is quite affordable.
Admission Requirements In Hong Kong Universities
Universities in Hong Kong follow rigorous selection process which is merit based. The applicants are assessed through entry tests, interviews, academic records and language tests. The specific requirements of admission may vary from university to university and also according to the study programme. The admission requirements are different at each academic level such as under gradate and post graduate. (Read Admission Requirements of Study Abroad in Hong Kong in Detail Here).
Admission Requirements for Under Graduate Programs:
Entry Test (SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, Advance Placement Test depends on the university’s requirements), the previous degrees must be passed in high grades, subject wise minimum grades would be according to your chosen study programme, English language proficiency test certificate such as IELTS, TOEFL and interview will be taken over Skype.
Admission Requirements for Post Graduate Programs:
Bachelors honors degree with good grades and at least 30 credit hours earned. Entrance examination and interview requirements depends on your chosen university in Hong Kong, English language proficiency test certificate and research proposal if taking admission in research course and CV, previous research experience for PhD applicants.
Hong Kong Student Visa Requirements
The university in Hong Kong you applied admission at will send you letter of acceptance or offer letter if you meet their academic eligibility. The acceptance letter is the most important document for student visa of Hong Kong; the other procedure will start after getting acceptance letter. You will visit the Embassy of Hong Kong and attain the information for visa and documents list required to be submit along with visa application. The required documents for student visa for Hong Kong include:
- Visa application form
- Recent photographs of applicant
- Acceptance letter from University in Hong Kong
- Bank Statement (proving the candidate has enough finances to cover his/her living and study expenses)
- Transcript of your academic certificates, diplomas, degrees
- Proof of accommodation arranged in Hong Kong (address and rental contract of your residence arranged in Hong Kong)
- Language Proficiency Test Certificate
- Pubic Examination Certificate (GRE, GMAT, SAT, ACT etc)
Permanent Residency In Hong Kong
The permanent residency visa of Hong Kong is issued to the candidate if he/she had lived in Hong Kong for continuous 7 years on legal documents and had met requirements of responsible citizen. The graduates who have passed their under graduate or post graduate degree successfully from an accredited institution of Hong Kong can get 12 months visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) program. If the graduates apply for the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) program within six months of their graduation, they don’t need to show an employment offer, but if the graduates apply for IANG visa after six months of their graduation they need to sow employment offer. The visa will be issued for 12 months initially which can be extended for 1 year first, then 2 more years in second extension and then 3 years in third extension. After residing in Hong Kong for seven years, the candidates become eligible to apply for PR visa of Hong Kong. Through General Employment Policy (GEP) program the graduates belonging from other countries can also apply for 1 years work visa of Hong Kong if they have employment contract from Hong Kong based organization.
Comparison Of Expenses In Hong Kong
The study expenses in Hong Kong are although affordable, but it is one of the most expensive cities to live in the world. The accommodation rents, food and utility bills are much higher in Hong Kong than UK, USA and Australia. As per the estimation, a student needs to spend almost HK$45,000 in duration of 12 months while living in Hong Kong excluding the study expenses. Majority of Hong Kong’s population uses public transport for their day to day travelling, the accommodation is in high size buildings rather than large houses, and the food has fusion of many cuisines as there are diverse cultures habituated in Hong Kong.
- Average tuition fee of under graduate programme in universities of Hong Kong is around HKD 140,000 to HKD 170,000 per annum.
- Average tuition fee of post graduate (Masters) programme in universities of Hong Kong is around HKD 300,000 per year.
- Average tuition fee of post graduate (PhD) programme in universities of Hong Kong is around HKD450,000 per year.
- On Campus: US$1,900 to US$5,800 per year
- Shared bedroom (Off Campus): US $2,333.56 per month
- Studio Apartment (Off Campus): US $1, 642.55 per month
- Three bedroom apartment (Off Campus): US $4, 941.39 per month
Food and Other Expenditures:
- Monthly pass of public transport: US $63.70
- Monthly utility bills: US $192.1
- Gym membership: US $78.41
- 1 Kg rice: US $2.06
- Dozen eggs: US $3.16
- 1 Kg Chicken Breast Piece: US $9.97
- 1 Kg Beef Meat: US $20.10
- 1 kg Apples: US $3.33
- 1 Kg Bananas: US $2.31
- 1 Kg Oranges: US $2.88
- 1 Kg Tomatoes: US $2.95
- 1 Kg Potatoes: US $2.43
- 1 Kg Onions: US $2.38
Part Time Work Permission in Hong Kong
Hong Kong does not allow international students to work part time off campus. The only part time job allowed to international students in Hong Kong is university offered or organized internships and traineeship that are curriculum related and degree programme related. An international student enrolled in full time study programme of at least one year duration at an accredited university of Hong Kong is allowed to do internship at campus. The internship must be of 6 months duration. It can be paid or not paid there is no restriction about. During summer holidays, the students can do summer jobs that must also be on campus, they are allowed to do summer jobs 20 hours a week and salary is up to their hosting university in Hong Kong. The summer jobs are allowed only from June 1 to August 31.
Post Graduate Work Opportunities in Hong Kong
There are two immigration programmes for international students post graduation to work in Hong Kong.
- The Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) program
- General Employment Policy (GEP) program
Studying abroad is journey of self exploration, learning and nurturing oneself for successful career. Hong Kong has been ranked at 3rd position by Global Financial Centers Index for being a world’s leading financial center. The outstanding and excelling research network and teaching methodologies being practiced by higher education institutions of Hong Kong have elevated their position in world rankings and their credibility among academic experts, it is no wonder three of Hong Kong’s universities are ranked among world’s top 50 best universities and the degrees attained from Hong Kong are globally recognized. The learner and adventurer in you will suffice the urge of experiencing diversity, ancient history, fusion of eastern and western culture and all this during the course of attaining best quality education. The manifold qualities of Hong Kong as a study abroad destination are acknowledged globally by academics and students. Why study in Hong Kong is reasoned for international students in this section:
Hong Kong is an Education Hub
The ulterior purpose of studying in abroad is gaining the best possible quality of education and knowledge and skill enhancement. Hong Kong has achieved excellence in higher education sector through adopting strong research grid, inclusive curriculum design, quality assurance, international collaborations and teaching methodologies which are focused on broaden the outlook of student and enhancing their cognitive capabilities.The top ranked universities of Hong Kong are:
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST),
- University of Hong Kong (HKU),
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
Permission to Extend Visa After Graduation in Hong Kong
It’s natural and logical for a student to know post graduation opportunities in the country they wish to study in abroad. With determination to make Hong Kong a favorite study abroad destination, The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government has relaxed entry visa restrictions and offers one year visa extension to international students as they complete their degrees for job search.
Affordable Tuition Fee
The tuition fee of universities in Hong Kong will be different for each course although, but they are low cost. For example on average a full time post graduate study programme in Hong Kong will cost US$140,000 to $150,000 per year which is quite affordable if you compare it with US and UK. There are state run and private organization’s funded scholarship programme offered to international students to encourage enrollments of foreign students in Hong Kong. The scholarships are offered on merit, research ability, academic excellence and leadership qualities.
Mainly because Hong Kong has been under reign of British Rule for 156 years, it has organically adopted the culture and living standards of west. But the ancient history, architecture, culture and Chinese roots are still intact in Hong Kong which is interesting fusion to experience. Hong Kong’s aptly organized and well spread transportation system, Disney land, Tall skyscrapers and tai chi and soccer co-exist in this small country. The modern and fast paced life style will be initially challenging and difficult to match but it will all worth and fruitful by the end of your studying abroad in Hong Kong journey.
The universities in Hong Kong have maintained a high quality of education through rigorous process of admissions, international standard curriculum design, highly qualified staff and regular improvement in academic structure of study programmes. Hong Kong’s education system is well organized and administrated ensuring the standards are never compromised and match up high profile international universities. Besides, top class education attainment, you will be exposed to career opportunities as Hong Kong is center of multinational companies and start ups. If you get to do internships and traineeships through your university’s organized study programmes, it will open multitude of career opportunities for you all around the globe. The admission procedure in universities of Hong Kong are explained in the following guide:
Choosing the Most Suitable Study Programme
The prime focus while choosing a study programme must be your passion and career goal. Choose that set of subjects and majors which interest you the most and about which you are passionate and the success part will eventually follow. In process of comparing which study programme can be best for you in future consider following factors before finalizing:
- The study programme you choose must enhance your existing qualification and skills.
- Does the curriculum of your study programme include subjects of your interest?
- Career scope and employment opportunities related to your study programme.
- Every study programme has many specialization options such as you can do civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and chemical engineering etc, so search thoroughly and pay attention to details before committing to one.
- Do you meet entry requirements?, so short list at least three study programmes and send application for all three so that you can get admission in one of it.
Choose the Best University in Hong Kong for Pursuing your Degree
Hong Kong is home to many worlds’ high ranking institutions which own global recognition and prestige. The Universities of Hong Kong have set their main priority to be high quality of education and enhancement of skills. Moreover, the tuition fee is considerably packaged for non local students to ensure more enrollments. So about quality of education in Hong Kong you don’t need to be concerned about, although you must consider following factors to pick one university to pursue your study programme in Hong Kong:
- Affordability of fee
- Admission requirements
- Location of University’s Campus
- On Campus Residence Facility
- University’s global ranking
- Academic Requirements
- Language Requirements
The academic requirements for admissions in universities of Hong Kong will mainly be dependent on the study programme you choose and the university you choose. For every study programme there will be subject wise grade requirements which will be demonstrated to you in details while you submit your application for admission. The general academic requirements including minimum grades for under graduate and post graduate courses are as follows:
For under graduate study program
- Higher Secondary School Certificate
- Entrance examinations such as SAT Reasoning Test/ACT/Advanced Placement Test, GMAT, GRE will be taken (it depends on the university’s requirements)
- Language proficiency requirements.
For admission in post graduate study program
- Higher Secondary School Certificate
- Bachelor’s Honors Degree with no failed subject and good CGPA and at least 30 credit units
- Entrance examination depends on university’s requirements
- Work experience
- Research proposal if applying for Masters (research course)
- Language proficiency requirements.
The candidates applying from non English speaking countries are required to prove their proficiency in English language for admissions in English taught degree programme. Hong Kong’s Universities accept IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge English Language Assessment tests for language requirements. The minimum grades required at each of English language proficiency test are as follows:
- IELTS: 6.5 to 7 score in overall bands
- TOEFL: Minimum 79 scores in the internet based TOEFL exam
- Cambridge English Language Assessment Test: In Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) the minimum grades must be C or above it and in Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) also C grades at least.
The documents required by universities of Hong Kong for admissions are enlisted below:
- Identity documents (Passport, Birth Certificate)
- Transcripts of academic records, certificates, diploma (along with a document explain the grading system of your country)
- Language proficiency test certificate (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge)
- Public examination score reports (GRE, GMAT, SAT, ACT etc) it is programme specific and depends on university’s admission requirements.
- For Post Graduate Research Courses (Research proposal, experience in research past references, and letter explaining plan for future research)
- Reference Letters (at least from two of your professors)
- Signed and completed admission form
- Supporting documents (your academic achievements, work experience, participation in extracurricular activities).
- Application fee receipt (it can be around HKD $450)
- The required documents be verified and attested by related authorities. (To ensure the authenticity).
- Make sure to provide valid information only.
The admission deadlines of universities of Hong Kong vary from one other. If you are planning to get enrolled in a fall semester start its preparation from spring and arrange the perquisites. The admissions intakes in universities of Hong Kong start usually in January or May.