New Zealand is an appealing study abroad destination owing to the fact that it has high quality of life, organized and par excellence education system, superlative health care facilities, economic stability and career opportunities. All 8 of New Zealand’s universities hold a top spot in QS Rankings because innovative and research based learning. The universities focus in developing individual skills of students and enhancing their problem solving ability evidently making New Zealand a favored study abroad choice. The admission requirements in universities of New Zealand depend on the course you have selected to pursue and from university to university. The entry requirements for international students coincided with visa requirements and bank statement. The general requirements for admission in universities of New Zealand elaborated below:
How Students can Apply in New Zealand Universities
The method of application for admissions in New Zealand’s Universities is directly through online websites for international students.
- Select an institution
- Select a Programme
- Check entry requirements
- Collect required documents
- Check tuition fee
- Check admission deadline of university
Selecting an Institution
The first step of applying for admission is selecting an apt and suitable institution for pursuing your higher education degree. There are 8 state universities in New Zealand and each of it has excelling performance and worldwide degree acclamation. We recommend students to search about performances of universities based on international student assessment surveys which will make it quiet easy for you to short list a number of options. Compare tuition fee and other additional expenses of these short listed university options. Apply for admission after doing all the comparison and assessing the most affordable, facilitating and best education provider. The international students must contemplate on following factors during selection process of university to get enroll in:
- The position of university in world rankings
- Entry requirements and merit requirements
- Availability of Scholarship and financial aiding programme
- If the university is located in the city of your choice in New Zealand
- On Campus accommodation availability
- Affordability of tuition fee
- If the university offers study program or course of your interest
Selecting a Programme
Selecting a study programme is pathway to your professional career. Each subject has vast arrays of courses and study programmes. Choosing the subject majors of your interest will keep you focused and passionate about your education. Consequently, you must consider on choosing the subject combination in a study programme which interests you, you have expertise and ability to study the chosen subject with dedication and the study programme has career scope after completing your degree. Take guidance from an expert career advisor who can suggest you which course can benefit you the most in future and suits your academic ability based on your previous subject wise grades. It is best to choose five course and then research about it before making final selection. Before making final selection consider the negatives and positives attached to course, overall expenses of the course, research the combination of subjects to be studied in all terms of study program and check if you meet the admission eligibility of the programme.
Entry Requirements in New Zealand
English Language Proficiency Certificate
New Zealand is an English speaking country. The under graduate and post graduate study programme applicants both need to provide English language proficiency test certificate for admissions. English proficiency test certificate is required by those international students who belong to the countries where English is not native language.
For Admissions in Under Graduate Program the Minimum English Language Proficiency Test Scores Required Are:
- IELTS (6.0)
- TOEFL iBT (80)
- TOEFL Paper Based Test (550)
- CAE or CPA (169 overall and no band should be less than 162 points)
- PTE Academic (50)
- MELAB (80)
For Admissions in Post Graduate Program the Minimum English Language Proficiency Test Scores Required Are:
- IELTS (6.0)
- TOEFL iBT (90)
- TOEFL Paper Based Test (575)
- CAE or CPA (176)
- PTE Academic (58)
- MELAB (85)
Qualification Requirements to Get Admission in New Zealand Universities
- For Admissions in Under Graduate Program: Higher Secondary School Diploma from a Recognized Institute. (for admissions in B.A Course the higher secondary school diploma must be passed with 75% overall grades and for B.A Hons Course the higher school diploma must be passed with 82% overall grades and also the passing average of Physics and Mathematics must be 85%.
- For Admissions in Post Graduate Program (Masters): The holder of Bachelors (Hons) degree or a Post Graduate Diploma from a recognized university of your country is eligible to apply for Master’s degree by thesis only. The holder of Bachelors degree is eligible to apply for a Master’s degree for course work and in some cases also for thesis.
- For Admissions in Post Graduate Program (PhD): The applicant must have attained a Master’s degree with good grades (1st Division or B+ or above grades) from a renowned university. A work experience in the related of education of applicant can be asked and research experience at post graduate level can be asked as well.
Collect Required Documents
The international students applying for admissions in universities of New Zealand need to provide following list of documents and a completely filled application form and submit it online at the university’s official website after meeting entry requirements. The lists of documents are coincided with visa requirements such as passport, bank statement and character assurance of applicant. The general documents required for admissions in universities of New Zealand are listed below:
- Application form (all section must be filled completely)
- Transcripts of academic records, certificates, diplomas i-e Higher Secondary School Diploma (For Under Graduate Admission), Bachelors Degree (For Post Graduate Masters Admissions) and Masters Degree (For Post Graduate PhD Admissions).
- Recommendation Letters (Written by your professors stating you are eligible to undertake the study course you had applied for enrollment)
- ACT or SAT Test Scores (if applicable)
- Bank Statement (proving your eligibility to afford living and tuition fee expenses per year basis)
- University application fee receipt (it may vary between NZ$25 to NZ$50 depending your chosen institution and study course)
- Financial Aid Application (That depends on the country from which you belong. New Zealand has collaborative relations with many educational institutes for scholarships and financial aiding so the applicant can specify that if he/she is eligible for any financial aiding program and then send application for funding and fee waiver)
- A Valid Passport
- The applicant that are transferring their credit hours from partner university of New Zealand’s university then he does not need any transcript of academic record. The admission process is different from then which they can know from the chosen university of New Zealand.
- All the documents must be translated in English
- All the documents must be certified
- A letter of research experience or work experience (for Post Graduate Programs if applicable)
- Institution might ask you to attend a Skype interview as part of entry requirements and the candidates had to pass the test.
- Letter of intent (a letter written by applicant and signed by him/her. The letter will state that why the applicant chosen has certain study program for admission and describe his professional or career goals and why he/she has chosen to study in New Zealand instead of their own country and also give an explanation what the candidate plan to do after completing their degree from New Zealand.)
Check Tuition Fee New Zealand Universities for International Students
After submitting admission application the candidate will receive a letter of acceptance from their New Zealand University if all goes well and he meets entry requirements. Post receiving letter the candidate would be required to pay tuition fee before applying for student visa of New Zealand. The approximate tuition fee for an under graduate or post graduate programme is stated below but the students need to reconfirm the tuition fee and registration fee before selecting the university.
The approximate fee for an under graduate study program may vary: NZ$22,000 (US$14,900 per year) to NZ$32,000 (US$21,700 per year)
The approximate fee for post graduate (Masters) study program may vary: NZ$26,000 (US$17,660 per year) to $37,000 ($25,100 per year).