Sweden’s prestigious and highly esteemed universities are immensely popular among study abroad aspirants. High ranking universities, comprehensive and research based curriculum, international exposure, innovative teaching techniques, worldwide degree acclamation and larger career opportunities are few of the many factors making Sweden an attractive choice to study abroad for students. The Swedish top institutes have rather demanding and tight admission requirements at under graduate and post graduate level in sweden colleges. If you have decided to study abroad in Sweden, the following article explains admissions requirements in detail for your complete information:
Choosing a Study Programme:
The much of your academic success depends upon the selection of your course. If you are studying a course of your interest and mental aptitude, you always complete it with flying colors. While choosing a course, consider its potential of career growth, demand in global professional sector, it must enhance your existing skills and it must include subjects of your interest. Universities in Sweden offer plethora of study courses in all streams, finding an apt and suitable programme of your choice will not be an issue for you. While submitting an application for study course in Swedish university, make sure you meet the admission requirements and language of instruction is preferable for you.
Choosing an Apt University in Sweden:
Swedish universities are globally renowned and recognized for their high quality of education and academic expertise. To take admission in Swedish university you must meet the admission eligibility of the study course you have selected and fulfill language proficiency requirement. The tuition fee must match your budget and university offered accommodation is another point to be considered. If you have excellent academic record, ensure the university you select in Sweden offers any scholarship or fee concession opportunity.
The academic requirements for admission in sweeden international universities in each study course and level is different from the other. The Swedish Universities have also specific admission eligibility criteria which vary from the other. The Swedish University at which you apply for admission will have its own set of instructions for the applicants in regards of merit, subjects and language proficiency level. In general, the admission requirements at Swedish Universities for under graduate and post graduate applicants are as follows:
For Admissions in Undergraduate Study Programme:
The students must have completed higher secondary school degree or equivalent certificate. They must be able to prove their proficiency in English language. The students must have completed equivalent Swedish Mathematics Courses in their home country I-e 1a, 1b or 1c which means they have studied the subject of mathematics for 10 years. Except these each study programme has specific subject wise requirements which must be fulfilled by the students at the time of submitting application. Some study courses may require higher grades in mathematics and science subjects for admission acceptance and some might not.
For Students Admissions in Postgraduate (Masters) Study Programme:
For admission in postgraduate study programme at Masters Level at Swedish university, students must have done Bachelors honors degree (4 years study course) in their respective field from an internationally recognized university. Each study programme in Swedish university will have specific grade requirements for merit of admission and some requirements might include taking entry tests but not for all study courses. It is best to check study programme admission requirements if your selected Swedish university to assess their merit.
For Admissions in Postgraduate (PhD) Study Programme for Students:
For admissions in postgraduate PhD degree programme in Swedish University, students must have Bachelor’s honors (4 years degree programme) and Masters degree (2 years duration degree programme) from an internationally recognized university. The subjects you studied at your bachelors and Masters kevel must be related to the course you are applying for at PhD level in Sweden. Thesis and recommendation letters from your professors are required.
Language Proficiency Requirements for Admission in Swedish Universities for Students
IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge English language proficiency tests are a mandatory requirement for admissions in Swedish universities for students.
For undergraduate level admissions:
- IELTS: an overall mark of 6.5 and no section below 5.5
- TOEFL (paper based): Score of 4.5 (scale 1-6) in written test, total score of 575
- TOEFL (internet based): Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 90
For Postgraduate (Masters) level admission:
- IELTS: an overall mark of 7.0 and no section below 6
- TOEFL (paper based): an overall mark of 7.0 and no section below 6
- TOEFL (internet based): Score of 20 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 100
For Postgraduate (PhD) level admissions:
- IELTS: an overall mark of 5.5 and no section below 5.0
- TOEFL (paper based): Score of 4.0 (scale 1-6) in written test, total score of 530
- TOEFL (internet based): Score of 17 (scale 0-30) in written test, total score of 72
NOTE: Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments, Pearson PTE Academic and University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL) tests are also accepted for admissions.
Other methods of meeting English language requirements at Swedish universities for admissions are university education and entry tests.
Required Documents for Students:
- Admission application form (completely filled)
- Transcripts of academic records (degrees, certificates and diplomas)
- Language proficiency test certificates
- Recommendation letters (for research students)
- Updated CV (for research students)
- Motivation letter
- Admission application fee (SEK 900) non refundable
- Select a university in Sweden
- Select a study programme
- Fulfill admission requirements of your chosen study programme
- Submit required documents and admission application along with fee
- The application must be submitted under admission deadline of your selected university
- All Swedish universities accept admission application via online means of their website
- You will submit application and scanned copies if required documents at your selected university in Sweden’s website by creating account.
- After application submission the university will process your application
- If you meet their admission eligibility criterion, the university will send an offer letter/acceptance letter and ask you to submit tuition fee.
- After getting acceptance letter and tuition fee payment you will commence student visa process of Sweden.