Australia is considered as the top third most desirable study abroad destination for international students. Australian universities have worldwide accolade due to excellent academic performance and scientific research. Seven of Australian universities have honor to be ranked among world’s top hundred best universities. Despite imparting distinguished higher education degrees, the living cost and study cost in Australia are reasonable. Post graduation career opportunities are another highlight in Australia for study abroad aspirants. The elements of high quality of education, modern teaching methodologies, effective research, globalized environment and emphasis on innovation are perquisites of Australian higher education system. Choosing Australia as your study abroad destination is certainly a best choice for an international student. The procedure of admission in Australian universities is being explained in detail in the following guide:
Selecting an Ideal University for You in Australia
When you are done selecting Australia as your study abroad destination the process to do admission planning begins. Australia is an English speaking country which makes a lot easier to find out admissions procedure. There are around 1100 higher education institutions in Australia which offer plethora of courses at under graduate and post graduate levels. While choosing an apt and most suitable university for you in Australia consider following factors:
- The institute must be accredited by higher education department of Australia or concerned authority
- If the university is located in the city of Australia at which you wish to stay
- Compare tuition fee with other institutions of Australia
- Ensure you meet admission eligibility before submitting application
- Availability of on campus accommodation
- Availability of scholarships and financial grants in Australia
Selecting a Study Program
In contrast with the past students have countless choices of education streams. Each education stream leads to various career opportunities and that too ensuring a potential of professional growth. Students must pay in depth consideration on their preferred field of interest and their skills and limitation at the time of choosing a study program. Evidently, you are likely to study those subjects and topics which interest more passionately and result in getting high grades. After when you have selected a university to study abroad in Australia check if it offers the study program you want to pursue. While selecting a study program check the required academic eligibility, language requirements and merit for admission of your study program before finalizing.
Taking Guidance from Study Abroad Consultants
Study abroad consultants are well known to latest admission requirements and visa perquisites according to your nationality. They deal with study abroad aspirants on daily basis which makes them experienced to deliver you required knowledge of admissions and visas. By taking guidance of a study abroad consultant you can apply for admission on time without chance of application mistakes. Study abroad consultants can guide you step by step procedure of studying abroad in Australia saving your money and time.
How to Apply for Admissions in Australia Universiteis
Admissions in Australian Universities are accepted on the basis of merit and academic capability. The large numbers of international admissions in Australian Universities have set the bar of education quality very high. The academic platform is highly competitive and standardized. The international students have to meet similar admission merit and requirements as the residents of Australia. In addition to that the entry requirements may vary from Australian University to other and same goes to study programs. For example, for admissions in engineering, medical and IT related courses the admissions requirement require high grades. If you meet minimum entry requirements of admission there is a chance you might get a seat in an Australian University but the higher your grades are the higher are your chances of getting admission. The general minimum admission requirements in Australian Universities are enumerated below:
Qualification required for Admission in an undergraduate program In Australia:
The candidate must have completed a 12 years education (higher secondary school certificate) that must be equivalent to Australian qualification assessment references. At least 60% grades must be attained in four passing subjects. The degree must be attained from a recognized institute.
Qualification required for Admission in post graduate (Masters) program:
Bachelor’s degree attained from a recognized institute. The Bachelor’s degree must be equivalent to Australian Bachelor’s Degree deemed by qualification assessment references of your selected University. Minimum grades acquired in subjects, required knowledge and working experience depends on the study program you have selected for admission.
Qualification required for Admission in post graduate (PhD) program:
Master’s degree or Bachelor’s honors degree that must be equivalent to Australian qualification assessment references of your selected Australian University. Minimum grades, required skills, research work, working experience and academic capability will be ascertained according to your selected study program.
Language Requirements to Study in Australian Universities
Australia is English speaking country therefore you will mostly find English taught programs to study there in all academic levels. The countries where English is not a native language, the students belonging from there need to fulfill English proficiency requirements by passing one of English language proficiency test. IELTS course is accepted for admissions and student visa in Australia. Apart from IELTS students can also do following English language proficiency tests for admission in Australian Universities:
- Australian Technology and Management College (ATMC) Test,
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE),
- Common European Framework Certificate of English Proficiency,
- Navitas Academic English,
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic module,
- TOEFL Internet based Test (iBT),
The minimum grades and score can be ascertained by Australian Universities for admission requirements. For IELTS the minimum passing score must be 6.0, writing grade 5.5. No band score less than 5.0 will be accepted.
Documents Required for Admissions
Australian universities accept admission application directly submitted at their official website. The student would need to submit an online application form along with pdf file of documents required. The submission requirement may vary from one Australian university to other and according to study program.
- Verified copies of all your academic transcripts of results, certificates, grading system explained of your country must be explained in an exclusive document (if required)
- Paid admission fee receipt (that can be around $100)
- A completely filled application form
- English language proficiency test certificate
- Copy of applicant’s passport and national identity card
- Statement of intent (written by applicant explaining why he/she has chosen a certain study program for admissions and explaining professional aspirations)
- Bank statement 9proving that if granted admission the person can afford tuition fee and living expenses)
- Work experience (particularly for post graduate courses and for those who are applying for admission after some duration gap from their last attained degree)
- Recommendation letters (written by applicant’s teacher stating the applicant’s eligibility to attain admission in intended study program)
- Other supporting documents